Sunday, June 26, 2011

Destination 90s & Please keep Studio A open after-hours!

68 Destination 90's S01E07
on set for Destination 90s- filmed at RMIT's Studio A after-hours
Dear RMIT,

This is a post to support a community group and service that I derived a lot of value from last year.  I have been alerted to the fact that RMIT is shutting down access to Studio A outside of normal working hours. As such, I'd like to share the wonderful experience I had when I worked on a Destination 90s, a show made by members of RMITV in RMIT's Studio A, after-hours. It is my hope that RMIT will resource Studio A to continue to operate as it has been in order to enable others to have rewarding experiences like I got to!

For those who are unfamiiliar, RMITV is a not-for-profit independent media production group and community access television production facility based at RMIT University City Campus. Destination 90s was a tribute show to music, news and lifestyle of the 90s and the brainchild of one Caitlin Jolly who both produced and hosted the show. Destination 90s was filmed after work hours which meant that after my dayjob as an auditor, I could zip over to Studio A and make tv.
051 D90's S01E05
In make-up ~ yeah baby!
Caitlin gave me the opportunity to act as both stylist and show presenter from Episode 4. As the presenter of the 90s Child segment, it was my role to re-introduce and reminisce about the toys from our childhood, here's my debut with one of my favourite toys, GRIP BALL:


eeek! But truly I loved every moment of my Destination 90s experience and like to think that I learnt and improved over the course of the series! Being able to juggle a full-time job and build up my portfolio as stylist for the show meant a lot to me. If the show was not filmed outside of work hours, there is no way that I'd be able to have been a part of it - and I know that I'd feel poorer without this experience.
034 Destination 90's S01 Episodes 11, 12, 13
Some of the fun I got up to as stylist and presenter of the 90s Child segment...

63 Destination 90's S01E07
The crew with James Sherry from 90s kids' show, A*mazing!
Without Destination 90s, I would not have met a whole lot of inspiring people who I have no doubt are the bright future of Australian TV.

10 Destination 90's S01E10
Serious shit, please keep Studio A open after-hours!

After the experience of Destination 90s, I have been inspired to work on creating my own shows which I hope to have made at Studio A. So dear RMIT, please keep Studio A open after hours so that both I and a wider section of our community can take part to connect to build relationships and wonderful experiences in making Australian television.

webcam gif

Destination 90s on YouTube | Facebook |Twitter
RMITV | Twitter |
All photos by Fernando de Sousa

1 comment:

  1. I hope they do keep Studio A open outside working hours. Sounds like a great project and looks like you had a blast. Thank you for your recent comment on my blog by the way :)

    ReplyDelete